Riders in the Sky
March 13, 1999, Helotes, Texas
Attended by Gary
Flores Country Store and Honky-tonk is in Helotes about 9 mile from San Antonio.
It is a large dance hall that seats 500 and can get 200
more in standing. It also has and outdoor stage but it was
to cold for some people so they had it inside. The outdoor
concerts can hold up to about 3000. The town itself is really
only a one mile long street. But they have all the big names there.
Merle Haggard holds the record for the largest crowd at about 2500.
Goerge Jones is supposed to be there at the end of the month
if he is out of the hospital and feeling ok to do a concert so soon
after his illness.
I got to the concert before RITS even got there.
They arrived at 4:00 pm 4 hours before the concert.
I help Woody and Too Slim with the backing in of
the motorhome. The Southwind needed some work
to repair the step that are used to get in and out of
the motorhome. So while Too Slim and Joey got the
stage set up to do their sound check I helped Woody
for about 45 min. repair the step.
Before all that happened, right after they had parked the
Southwind, I gave Woody and Too Slim copies of poems
I wrote for each of the guys Joey to.
I took the letters of each of there names and wrote a poem.
Too Slim mentioned that they may put them in their next
Newsletter. They really liked them. Now just before I
list all the songs the Guys did let me tell you about
one other neat thing that happened. Before the guys went
on stage Woody went up and got his fiddle to take to the
back and as he walked by me he patted me on the shoulder.
And he did the same has he was coming back on stage after
the Guys had a fifteen minute brake between sets. Neat?
Well the show started a 8:00pm with a local group called "Daddy Rabbit"
They were good but not my kind of music.
Then at 9:30 RITS came on. This was show 3917 the songs were:
1. Texas Plains 2. How the yodel was Born 3. Wahoo 4. Cool Water
5. Palindrome 6. Farr Away Stomp 7. Malaguena
8. Sioux City Sue 9. Phantom of the Chuckwagon 10. Hoop-de-do
11. Rawhide/Bowling 12. Cowboy Camp Meeting 13. The Alamo ( From there
Davy Crooket album that Ranger Doug stated would be out this summer)
14. Anne Lori/Irish and Scottish tunes 15. Down the San Antonio Trail
16. The Arms of My Love 17. One More Ride Break time
18. Pinto Pal 19. 160 acres 20. Nation wide mobile home theme song
21. Cherokee 22. Texas Sands (Joey) 23. Questions the question
won the 8-track was "what are your day jobs" 24. They call my beans ma-rya
25. Request time they did all the songs at once and ended with Surfin'USA
26. Yellow Rose of Texas 27. Cattle Call 28. Ghost Riders in the Sky
29. Welcome Matt 30. Big money routine 31. That's Amore 32. a Polka number
33. Streets of Laredo 34. Something Blues 35. Fastest Accordion in the West
36. Pacos Bill 37. Blue Shadows on the Trail 38. Santa Fe 39. Don't Fence Me In
40. Navajo Trail 41. Skyball Paint 42. Happy Trails.
After saying thank you and good night some people got up and started to leave
then they came back and sang 43. Loony Tunes 44. You are my Sunshine
and finished the concert with 45. Tumblin' Tumbleweed.
After the concert I waited and had all the guys sign my hat for the second
Last time was concert 3816 this time was 3917 and I think I have a one of a
kind signature from Woody. He signed my hat way way way different then I have
ever seen him do it just to be different he said. I even managed to get one of the posters from the show! yippy i hey coyote WAHOO!!! I headed home at 1:00am and
home about 4:30am stopping for gas and something to eat to keep me awake.
Well hope you all enjoy this.
Gary or Old Buckaroo